May 28, 2009

First Impression: Fable 2

I just picked up Fable 2 used. I ignored it last fall due to an onslaught on my gaming time by multiple titles, led by fallout 3. I realize now that I committed a grave injustice as this thing seems pretty awesome right now. 

The game art made me think the story and subject matter would be a little more kid oriented. I was wrong, there is prostitution, alcohol, condoms and marriage (now that is mature) including the option to have multiple husbands/wifes. Also seems like a quarter population of the villagers in the world is gay so there is something for everyone which ever way you swing. Having experienced the first 6 hours of gameplay it seems like the visuals would be a bit darker in nature. Don't get me wrong the visuals and art direction is great. It just seems more Zelda than Fallout. 

By all appearances so far it seems like the player decisions affect the game-world more so than any other game I have played. Fallout 3 and The Elder Scrolls do it relatively well, but it carries more weight here. I fully intended to play this game as evil as I could considering I finished Fallout 3 and Mass effect as a paragon. I couldn't do it though, it felt wrong, this was well reflected by the slow visual transformation of my character into a prick. I started over playing a good guy. Maybe I can be evil second time around.

More when I finish this gem.

No comments:

Post a Comment