Mar 5, 2009

Costco Steaks 4/5

photo courtesy of djnordic
Steaks - previously a non-existent entree in my cooking repetoire, because of the following:
  • a) my dad (aka the expert chef) makes great ones on the bbq, so no need for me
  • b) an entree usually reserved for a night out at some fancy schmancy restaurant (steak frites at L'Express in Montreal...drool), and
  • c) the intimidation factor - can I really cook a steak to medium rare on a frying pan?

Hence, here enters Costco, warehouse giant extraordinaire. I tried to stay away from this shopper's bonanza of multi-packs and 10 kg bags of commodities (do you really need that much flour??), but I concede defeat. I have been finding myself frequenting Costco a lot lately, thanks to my sister's membership. Thus, leading me to hobnob through their meat section, where those well-marbled and meaty sirloin steaks caught my eye.

I decided to take the plunge and bought a 3-pack home to see how well I could concoct a meal with them. How did it turn out? Let's say the meal was amazing. I do not usually gloat like this, but I must say I dished up a fine meal of rosemary, garlic and olive oil marinated sirloin, cooked to the medium-rare pink perfection.
I've since replicated this recipe twice for friends and both times perfecto! Here-in lies my brand loyalty to Costco forever and ever for steak purchases.

4 comments:

  1. completely agree ... i used to shop at European Meats but no more! especially now that I live literally across the highway from Costco! ty

    ReplyDelete
  2. But isn't this more a commentary on your cooking skills? I mean, if all you've ever bought steak-wise and cooked were Costco steaks, wouldn't you generally attribute the delicious-ness to your cooking? I think the meat is a good quality and is affordable but the meat itself really wouldn't be that different. This is unless you bought a 3-pack of pre-marinated sirloin, and all you did was fry it up. If that's the case, please disregard comment or attribute to Clarence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having access to quality ingredients is also key too! I've tasted my fair share of another store steaks, and I don't think it is up to par. Besides, I've heard that restaurants source their meat at Costco too because of the quality and value. Yum yum yum

    ReplyDelete