Mar 7, 2009

Watchmen 5/5


I went to see Watchmen with a friend on opening night. I had mixed expectations, having still not read the graphic novel. I have been warned that I won't understand the movie without reading the source material. I call bull, as this was hands down one of the best movie experiences I had in recent history. It even surpassed the recent Batman movies for me, which were the pinnacle of super hero movies. It is unlike any other comic book based movie I have seen, and can be attributed to the source material, which is described as dark, ironic and witty. I see this movie as a take on the post-modern hero - where the world is jaded with its heroes, and the heroes jaded with their world.

The presentation is incredible - it's not just about explosions and CGI effects, but rather great style and design. There are many memorable scenes with gorgeous camera pans, dramatically lit environments and perfect sound beds. To me, this is a perfect adaptation of the visual style of graphic novels, while maintaining more of a traditional live action look compared to something like Sin City.

It seems like this movie will produce polarized opinions. For me, Watchmen is the movie for cinema lovers and for those who actually enjoy absorbing the visual style and mood of graphic novels.

3 comments:

  1. I'm planning on watching this movie really soon. But I have my doubts only because I already rated the graphic novel poorly... Zach Snyder does get the benefit of the doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm well, tell me what you thought.
    The 2 complaints you hear is, 'not close enough to the book' from the graphic novel fanatics, and 'it follows the book too closely' from the mainstream reviewers.
    I'll read the novel now likely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it follows the book close enough. I mean, did people really expect a giant monster or something? It makes more sense to use Dr. Manhattan as a scapegoat the world can rally against. Oops I guess that was a spoiler. Anyways, if I were to review this movie, it'd be an F+ on my scale. On your scale, probably a 3. While I liked Rorschach I ended up liking Night Owl more. He's a nerd and all, but I connected to his character more. Although Rorschach is cool. Also, good thing they didn't use the Pirate story, it would have confused most people unfamiliar with the book even worse.

    ReplyDelete