Mar 4, 2009

Outlander 3/5


I stumbled upon this movie without hearing anything prior about it. Hence I had very low expectations. I however enjoy sci-fi fare that is so bad that it's good so I decided I'll give it a try (also anything with Ron Pearlman gets an extra piece of my time).
I must say I was surprised, as it was rather well produced and executed. It's a solid action adventure flick with beautiful scenery and effects work. James Caviezel plays the lead, Ron Perlman and John Hurt are the other noteworthy characters. The premise is somewhat reminiscent of the 13th Warrior, except the stranger to the Northerners is a man that crashes on earth during the irong age rather than a mysterious man from the southern lands. At tit's heart it's a man vs monster movie not unlike predator, but menages to raise some moral issues by humanizing the monster. The setting and scenery elevates this a notch further.

I highly recommend this to any sci-fi / fantasy fan as it is above average fare. The lack of media attention can be attributed to a limited marketing budget of an independent production rather than quality of the movie itself. I have hopes that this movie won't be overlooked and full expect it to gain a cult status.

No comments:

Post a Comment